Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Funny Story

I must have been about 8 years old and as many 8 year old boys, I liked knives. I was sure I needed a butterfly knife, a switchblade, a survival knife, a sword, etc. Well one afternoon I was playing with a steak knife. Chances are good I was carving my initials in a windowsill or something. It really is a wonder that my parents never killed me. Sooner or later, I slipped and put a good slice in my finger. It started to bleed and I got scared. Of course my mom would ask me how I did it and I'd either have to either lie or admit to playing with a knife. Instead, I ran up to my room, stuck my cut finger in my mouth, and waited for it to stop bleeding. I obviously knew that playing with knives was a bad idea so the only way to keep from getting in trouble was to just deal with it and hope I wasn't cut too bad.

Why did I tell you that story? Well mostly to show you that I'm not much smarter than I was when I was 8. Between the 60K, a couple of really hard track days, riding 3 hours on Saturday afternoon after being out way too late on Friday, running 22 miles on Sunday on tired legs and no sleep...you get the point. I've been playing with knives and I hurt myself. Instead of owning up to it, I've been avoiding it.

There is some pain in my left foot (Stress Fracture?), my right knee is hurting (Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome?), and high glute cramping (Sciatica?). All of this is due to overuse, over stress and under rested.

I'm going to take the lead from GS and take a break. Philly is still 8 weeks out so I have some time. There will be no running for 6 or 7 days. If I still hurt after that, I'm going to gamble and try to train through it. Then again...maybe I'll fell better tomorrow and test it at the track.

Cyclocross Training Session #2 tonight and it is raining and cold. Just like you'd expect in Belgium!

No comments: