Tuesday, September 20, 2011

India Run Race Report - Hocking Hills



 My trusty friend Nemo joined me once again this year for the Indian Run.  Indian Run has a 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K, and 60K through Hocking Hills and Old Man's Cave area.  With Ragnar coming up this weekend, we opted for a conservative 20K as opposed to last year when we took on the full 60K.  I'm not sure if Nemo has recovered from last years race.  I'm pretty sure it wrecked his fall marathon.

Anyway, as with all good workouts, I started with a hearty stack of multi-grain pancakes from my good friend Bob Evans.  Since I am also training for the "bottomless pancakes" at the end of leg 30th at Ragnar, I thought it was important to jam as much in as possible.  I did however keep my bottoms on at Bob Evans. 

It was a beautiful cool day as we started off at the crack of 9:15am.  I wish more races started a little later...7:00am starts are brutal on my beauty rest.  Here are a couple good shots of the area that I took when I scouted the course last fall.




The RD shouted out some last minute instructions while Nemo and I agreed upon a conservative training day.  This was just a training run so no reason to push it too hard...I'll give you one guess how that race plan went.  Here are the splits and notes.

1: 7:24 min/mile - Nemo goes to the front, so much for easy
2: 7:09 min/mile - Nemo continues to set a blistering pace amongst the cheering fans
3: 6:30 min/mile - Long down hill, hard on the feet, almost out of control
4: 9:59 min/mile - Long hill, time for a little walking
5: 7:09 min/mile - Grassy plane, open it up a bit, Nemo is giggling like a school girl
6: 7:24 min/mile - Back into the woods passing people like Nemo passes gas
7: 7:27 min/mile - I might have shoved a little girl that thought it was ok to walk
8: 7:28 min/mile - Someone grabs on to our 2 man steam engine...dropped him
9: 8:58 min/mile - Short little walk up towards old man's cave
10: 8:01 min/mile - Uphill but no walking this time
11:8:06 min/mile - I bounce around 2 guys leaving Nemo stuck behind on stairs
12: 7:29 min/mile - Open it up on the big hill up to the dinning hall
Last little bit: 6:45 min/mile - Little kick as Nemo almost catches back up

Total: 1:33:28  7:32 min/mile

2010 - 6th overall 2nd in AG
2011 - 7th overall, 2nd in AG

Second race in 2 weeks.  A&F 5K on the road and Indian Run 20K on the trail.  2 AG 2nds...Maybe I haven't quite found my perfect distance.  It is a good taper into Ragnar but I'm a little beat up.  Some sore hips and knees. 

Weight is way out of control for the upcoming Columbus Marathon.  I may have to bag it.  There is no way I can PR weighing 160.  Fortunately Feebs won't be coming in from AZ (or wherever he lives now) so there is no pressure to race.  I may be skipping Columbus or just run with J-Fo.  I think I can hang with him for 26.2. 

Ragnar is almost here...last minute panic as I try to wrangle the fellas for a Thursday afternoon departure for Cumberland.  I just hope everyone shows up somewhat healthy.  That includes the driving crew.

No comments: