Wednesday, November 10, 2010

T-A-P-E-R

Let's get ready to go! Just under 2 weeks and the race will start. The 10-Day forecast for Philadelphia is not good. Next Friday is 56/38 with showers. If it stops raining by Sunday it could be ideal. If it keeps raining, hypothermia is very likely. Nothing I can do about it so we'll just let Mother Nature do her thing and I will do mine.

MD is looking primed. I've mentioned his good track work the last couple weeks. He has predicted a 2:50 for himself. I think that is reasonable. Nemo is limping a bit this week. If he gets through this injury and gets his focus, he should have a good day and a PR. If he continues to limp, it could funny to watch. I'll push him for a race prediction next week. GS is running about 2-3 miles at sub-11. A far cry from his summer best but what can you say, the season was injury riddled. He will be coming to Philly to watch and volunteer but won't be strapping on a bib number any more this year.

For me, I skipped the last long run this past weekend and rested. The result was that I ran last night, pain-free, for the first time in a month. My Achilles is not quite as sore, the swelling in my knee is gone, and I felt a little bounce in my step. The idea is that instead of trying to pound more endurance into the body, I rested and will try to make sure I could nail the last 2 weeks tempo and speed work. Who knows if it will work but at least it is a plan.

3 easy in the morning
Track in the Evening
2 mile warm up (19:33)
800 on 3:00 with 200 recovery
600 on 2:14 with 200 recovery
600 on 2:11 with 400 recovery

800 on 3:01 with 200 recovery
600 on 2:15 with 200 recovery
600 on 2:14 with 400 recovery

800 on 3:01 with 200 recovery
600 on 2:19 with 200 recovery
600 on 2:17
2 mile cool down (20:19)
*Lanes 1-3 were closed for maintenance so all the track workout was run from lane 4 which makes the times a little slow. At least that's the story I'm going to use.

It is time to rest but still keep a few quick runs; think lesser volume same tempo. When I first started to marathon I used to think taper meant "quit running". I would basically just reduce the volume and think that training we done. Over the past couple years, I don't rest as much and I keep some high intensity. It seems to work.

Here is the Philadelphia Profile...think flat

No comments: