Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Let's get Caught Up

So, I'm going to try to start writing this blog again. I've got a few good months of racing coming up that could provide some entertainment. So what's been gonig on the last 11 months? Here is a quick recap.

- Philly Race Report -
I'll keep this brief. Trained for and prepared to run a 2:59, got a 3:04. Still struggling with how I feel about it. It was a 5 minute PR but somewhere along the course, I let pain and discomfort win out over desire and determination.

- November -
I made my (almost) annual pilgrimage to Tsali in North Carolina. It was a great trip to do a little mountian biking and get back to the woods.

I also decided to try some cyclocross back home in Columbus. It was an absolute riot. I didn't place well or anything but maybe this fall. The first race was REALLY cold.




The second race was in deep snow. There is no way to keep your self upright or lenses clear. It was a quite a mess. What to wear in weather like this? I went with chemical warmers underneath booties, fleece lined tights, thermal base layer, long sleeve jersey, two pair of gloves, and ski mask. I was still cold to the bone.



- Winter -
Spinning (and more spinning). I spent the next couple months being a gym rat. I averaged 1.2 visits per day. Morning and evening spinning along with group fitness classes and treadmill running. Barcelona was looming in March and I didn't want to get dropped.







The winter was tough this year. I swore that this would be my last winter up north. Not sure I can say that after this wonderful summer but I'm already thinking that I need a February vacation just to keep sanity this winter. Condos are pretty affordable in Phoenix though.

On my 38th birthday I did weigh in. I was down to 148 and running like lightening.

- March -
BARCELONA! 'nuff said.







- April -
Last fall my dishwasher broke. I saved up all winter long and purchased this.




- May -
After the thaw of an awful winter, I was running great in May. GS and MD were training for Boston so I was along for the ride. In the end, they both opted out of racing but it was a good training block. I also got to spend some time on my new bike. Somehow I got just over 400 miles in May.

- June -
I strapped on my first race number of the year on June 12th. A few of the boys and I thought we would test fitness with a 10K. I haven't run a 10K in years so it wasn't going to take much to set a PR. The first mile was real hot at 5:56 so the rest of the miles were a brutal grind. I crawled through with a 40:07 (6:28 min/mile). Personal best by 8 minutes or so and good enough for 4th in my AG and 58th overall. GS had a really strong race. MD beat me to the line too. Jerks...

In mid June, it was time for the Bicycle Tour of Colorado. My buddy Feebs had some issues getting there for the start but we had a few good rides. Great tour with tons of climbing and great views. This continues to be one of my favorite weeks of the summer. Cycling, camping, no phone, and good eats.

- July -
Ragnar Training is in full swing. The boys of MRC(am) and I decided early this year to join forces and take on a 6 person, 200 mile relay from Cumberland Maryland to Washington, DC. Here is the team profile.

J-Fo: On the comeback from a few years of running and some surgery. It took him a while to get back into training but he is looking very fit and uninjured.

Nance: The young gun is looking fast. I can't believe he is going to pass on the Columbus Marathon this fall.

Nemo: Steady as a rock.

GS: Fast if he is on form. Tough time finding it recently.

MD: Spending way too much time in India, airports, and hotels but somehow the guy is still pretty fast.


No comments: