Tuesday, September 6, 2011

(non) Labor Day

Work took me to Knoxville Tennessee for the week before Labor Day. Nice place but long drive. I go home late on Thursday so I kicked off Labor Day weekend with some ditching of work. I figure our founding fathers (and mothers) would appreciate my enthusiasm for non-Labor. I have no idea what Labor is really supposed to celebrate so I do what comes naturally, get lazy.

Friday morning I met MD and J-Fo at High Banks for a medium length run in the woods. The temps were still warm so it was a little tough. J-Fo is being somewhat conservative with his running since this is his first full Marathon Training Season in a few years. He wisely called it after 5 miles since he had a looming 20 miler this weekend. MD and I rolled for about 4 more. I'm in a "more is better mindset".





Not to miss out on the last of the heat, I then set out to explore some new riding routes north of my house. I rolled a very easy 55 on the dear Cervelo P3. Almost time to put it away until spring and break out the Cyclocross bike permanently.


Since this is the last unofficial weekend of summer (my ode to summer will come later this week) we soaked in the last of the hot weather on Saturday morning. The MRC(am) team has been running a little fractured recently. Most of the guys are doing their own thing due to work schedules, life schedules, injury, and avoiding the heat. J-Fo and I headed out around 8:00, he was going shorter with the "BIG RUN" on Sunday. Nemo was supposed to have started earlier so I was going to keep running until I found him on his way back. I never saw him on the way out and gave up after 6 miles and turned around for the return 6 miles. Just as I started back Nemo came skipping along. We chatted and he continued on his way. I suffered on the way home. Skipping breakfast and not stashing water quickly caught up with me. Nemo had his troubles as well. All in all a tough run but no damage.

Sunday MD and I started off at 8:00 looking to try to catch up with J-Fo leaving at 7:00. We passed him as he was coming back. He looked good and was running strong. MD and I continued on the way south to our favorite 7-11. The return was fast as usual clipping off low 7s. I needed a nap before grubbing some chow at Nemo's after I talked him into having a cookout.

Monday morning Mother Nature turned off the heat. She and I are going to have some big problems this winter if that was any indication as to what we are in store for this winter. I ran an easy 4 miler with the St. Charles Cross Country team. Very nice experience to run with some up and coming young people with a passion for running.

No comments: